Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Have you ever been punk’d? If you’re not familiar with the phrase, it comes from a MTV show in which pranks are played, usually on friends (so I’ve heard). So I’ve been punk’d big time the last couple of weeks. I don’t think any of it was intentional, but when plans fall through time and again, and when friends forget their commitment, it’s easy to become disappointed in them. I’m blessed with great friends, and I really value loyalty, so I may be prone to setting too high of expectations.

I know I’m not alone in feeling punk’d from time to time. People let us down, including close friends and people in the church. My natural response is to either become angry or blow such individuals off. After all, this is a big church, and I don’t have to like everyone, right?

I think I would be missing out on something huge if I let my natural instincts take their course. I sense that God has been molding my heart to become more like his, so I could get just a small taste of what it means to love unconditionally. To love others when we don’t feel loved back. To love those who have said things unkind. To love others so much that our first reaction to an offense is to rush to forgive and reconcile. To love the way God loves us. None of us has to think too hard of a time that we’ve punk’d God in the recent past, and yet look at the incredible friend He is to us.

I’m praying that God makes me that kind of friend.

4 comments:

Mike Ganiere said...

Gosh, Jon, is this all because I couldn't help yesterday? Man, I really wanted to, but my capacity to understand was a stumbling block for you!! Oh to fully grasp the depth of your knowledge, oh, great Crossroads leader!

Jon Brooks said...

Ha ha Mike. No, the only area you've 'punk'd' us is by not giving us more writings on your blog! Get to it! For those of you who haven't gone to Mike's blog: www.opportunityworship.blogspot.com

Mike Ganiere said...

Gonna force my hand huh? FINE! It's done NAG!

Jon Brooks said...

I think we need to resolve this conflict the Christian way-in the parking lot.