Tuesday, January 24, 2006


Last night I was saddened to hear of the passing of Gary Kautenburg, or 'Mr. K' my high school band director. Mr. K was very competitive, very intense, and took music quite seriously. His love for music is something that wore off on me, and I'm enjoying the benefits of his 4 year boot camp now as I play in the orchestra.

Whenever someone dies, I begin to think if they had a good presentation of the gospel in their life. God loved Mr. K so much that he ensured that he was constantly surrounded by witnesses. I remember inviting Mr. K many times to all the musicals we had here at church. Not only did I extend invites, but several others who are now in Crossroads consistently reached out to him, including Kelly Ganiere and Kristin Banks, among others. God surrounded Mr. K with many other christians in his band that showed him Christ's love in practical ways, such as in dedication, respect, and a love of him and his family. I also tried to witness in some more obvious ways, such as putting a 'Jesus is the reason for the season' ornament on the top of the band's Christmas tree, and notes of encouragement. As unexpected and sad as this loss is, I'm comforted that God reaches out to each one of us, longing to make us ready for eternity. God uses your efforts to accomplish this, no matter how small or insignificant they may seen at the time.

No comments: