Wednesday, January 18, 2006


I'm convinced God loves people who exercise at the gym, a reality that becomes more clear to me each day. This past Friday, I went over to Innovative for a quick workout, and ended my ritual with a trip to the therapy pool. For all of you in Crossroads who belong to this gym (many of whom haven't been there in months, but I won't name names), you know it's the best way to relax the huge muscles you're recently aquired (restrain your laughter, please)! I noticed a guy in the pool, about my age, lifting weights. I couldn't shake the gut feeling that God wanted me to talk to him. But about what?

As I was thinking about what to say, he left the pool area. I thought the moment had passed. But he returned a few minutes later. I knew this was God as it has been in the past, so I approached him.

I asked him what he was doing, and he told me that 7 years ago he was in a severe car accident that left him completely paralyzed. Through much hard work, he has some movement, and needs to train 6 times a week, or his ability to walk will disappear.

I asked him if he believes in prayer; if he believes that God hears him and can completely heal him. He asked several questions about prayer, and then introduced himself formally.

He said he was really touched that I would care enough to offer to pray, and I assured him that I would. I have. And your prayers for this young man will make a difference.

Finally, yesterday I was praying for a certain individual while on a bike. 10 minutes later, this person came up behind me, and we spoke for about 30 minutes. He'll be at Crossroads tonight for the first time in over a year. Pray for God's blessing on his life.

Do you have a story about God at work in an unusual place? If so, I'd love to hear it. I know God wants to use you wherever you go, and you'll experience excitement and joy as you hear and obey his voice.

2 comments:

Jon A Brooks said...

Touching story.

A tiny bit off-subject,
I think it would be FANDIGGITY if everyone saw a picture of this impersonator "Jon Brooks" and his "recently acquired" muscles. He's hot. Ain't no hiding it, babay!

Signing out,
The "I"

Jon Brooks said...

I'm going to leave this comment up because it's truth. If you want a good workout, instigator, you can probably catch me tonight around 9 at innovative. Can you handle it?